Video conferencing is today used by both small and big businesses for multiple purposes. However, over the last few years, video conferencing is in the spotlight for another reason: for being eco-friendly. That’s right, the green benefits of video conferencing cannot be ignored. Mainly because video conferences happen to be a “greener alternative” to the usual long distance travel.
Reduces Harmful Emissions
When businesses use tools like megameeting video conferencing software, it not only eliminates the travel expenses, but also brings down the harmful emissions and the use of fossil fuels that are a necessity when travelling for business conference. By leveraging the power of the World Wide Web for clear, sharp and real video/voice transmission, video conferencing lets people from different states across a nation or different countries across the world hold meetings and have real-time discussions face to face right from the convenience of their own office.
Cuts Down on Electricity Costs
Since video conferencing happens to use electricity in smaller amounts, it also helps in bringing down the electricity costs. This is because little power is required to stay connected to the Internet with a computer while video conferencing. If you look at it, this contrasts in a big way with the large amounts of fossil fuel that is being used when participants in a traditional/normal conference have to travel to one specific location by the means of air, road or rail.
Lowers the Harm to the Environment
Video conferencing is an Internet communication, which is why it doesn’t emit any greenhouse gases or any other such pollutants that can pollute the air. This obviously is not the case with any type of travelling in any form of vehicle that is run by fossil fuel. Therefore when you rely upon video conferencing for any of your business discussions it helps in minimizing significant harm to the environment.
Saves in Printing Costs
Since everything that gets discussed or talked about in a video conference is saved/downloaded, there is no real need for big amounts of paper that you usually see being handed out at traditional conferences. This helps in saving printing costs, which in turn benefits the environment. Because when less paper is used, there is less waste in the landfills. Not only that, when you rely on “video conferencing servers” in order to save the proceedings/happenings of the conference, it also eliminates any need for disks or use of other such “non biodegradable” materials that you find being distributed at conferences.
There’s no doubt about the fact that video conferencing is one of the most effective ways to get a big number of people in one place and let them have face to face meetings without having to travel large distances. Remember that embracing sustainable business strategies is a trend that is only going to grow with time. By making video conferencing an integral part of your business, you help the environment in a number of ways – the effect of which will be seen in the long run as more and more businesses like you work on this same green ideology.
Photo from Shutterstock
This post is by Samantha Peters, who enjoys writing about Eco-friendly businesses and sustainable business models that take into account the triple bottom line, Planet, People, and Profits. You can follow Sam on Twitter @Sam_Peters1001.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!