Home automation can be a great way for businesses and companies to promote a green environment and reduce monthly energy bills. By using home automation systems from companies like Vivint, it’s possible for everyone to achieve better energy efficiency.
The largest sources of wasted energy in modern buildings come from lighting and air conditioning systems. Since all the rooms in an office won’t be occupied all the time, there’s no need to provide constant air conditioning and light to these rooms. In many cases, it can cost thousands of dollars to heat or cool a large office environment.
Automation systems can help reduce heating and cooling costs by turning AC systems off when a room is empty. Through the use of motion sensors and timing systems, it’s possible to set up an AC system to run only when a room is occupied. When a room is empty, air conditioning systems can keep it at a less than comfortable temperature.
Many hotels and rental units use similar technology to reduce energy usage. When a hotel room is not occupied, all the lights and the air conditioning system are automatically turned off. Once someone enters a hotel room, all these systems are activated. This allows for a high degree of comfort without the cost of running an air conditioning system all the time.
Automation can also be an excellent way to reduce water usage for businesses. For example, many businesses have small ornamental plant displays on the outside of their buildings. Since plants require watering on a regular basis, automation systems can be an excellent way to manage watering requirements.
In addition, it’s often cheaper and more efficient to use automated watering systems. Since watering during the day can cause moisture loss through evaporation, it’s a good idea to water plants during the evening and at night. An automated watering system can make this process very easy and efficient for businesses of all sizes.
In addition, automation systems like those offered by Vivint can be used to power down work computers at night. Since the average computer uses about 700 watts of power to operate, it’s important to look for ways to minimize energy usage. One of the best ways is by forcing unused computers to power down at night. Since computers in use will not be powered down, this is a minimal inconvenience to employees. However, it can be a great way to reduce electricity usage.
This post is by Samantha Peters, who enjoys writing about Eco-friendly businesses and sustainable business models that take into account the triple bottom line, Planet, People, and Profits. You can follow Sam on Twitter @Sam_Peters1001.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!