Feeding nine billion people
Marketplace is a great NPR show that focuses on economic issues, technology, and business alongside some fun human interest stories that always make me giggle on my afternoon commute. Recently I caught an installment of their year-long project entitled Food for 9 Billion. This monthly series is a look at the future of global food supply and all the complications that come with a growing world. The most recent story is how Ghana is adapting to depleted soils. Unfortunately they’ve been ‘mining’ the nutrients in the soil without using sustainable farming practices that enrich the soil and rebuild the nutrients that makes the dirt work. Add this to a sponsored program of Monsanto’s seeds, fertilizer, and herbicides, and the soils are left wanting- and so are the farmers that need to feed the continent. Other stories include Somalia’s drought-inspired famine– millions are starving due to lack of centralized government and blocks of food aid; half a million Somalis already have escaped to Kenya to live in refugee camps, and they are still hungry. The list also include a story about how Bangladesh will continue to feed its millions on marginal, salt-soaked land. And, in the Philippines, explosive population growth expands cities into the country and makes the nation dependent upon imported food to feed the two million babies born each year. Most women in the Philippines do not have access to family planning, and thus children continue to be born, and families continue to starve.
Check out these and many other fascinating food policy and sustainability stories at Marketplace.org.
Vegetarian chef, educator, blogger, and yogi based on the gathering isle of Oahu. Follow her foodie adventures at Vibrant Wellness Journal, Vibrant Wellness Education, Green Living Ideas and Green UPGRADER. Find more from Andrea on Facebook, Google+, Instagram and Twitter.
Get your signed copy of
Build a Green Small Business (McGraw-Hill)!
Or...talk with the author!
Click here to schedule an hour consultation.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!
[…] Feeding nine billion people | GreenBusinessOwner.com. food is love: share it!Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. […]