Green Economy Victory Bonds
As the Obama Administration considers its stimulus package and the financial crisis facing the country, it has often been compared to the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt’s New Deal helped bring America out of the Great Depression, and had some green components to it (Civilian Conservation Corps, for example). So despite his detractors, such as the incorrigible Rush Limbaugh, who openly hopes that Obama will fail (and with him America, thanks Rush for your undying patriotism…), the comparisons are not at all a slight in most people’s eyes.
True, FDR did increase government size and spending, but Bush made FDR look like a venerable bean counter in terms of fiscal responsibility. How about this for an idea based on FDR-style governing? Green America has proposed Clean Energy Victory Bonds. In World War II, the U.S. sold victory bonds to help finance the war. They paid interest and could be resold antime, but the idea was that the American people lent money to their government for something they believed in. What a concept! The Clean Energy Victory Bonds would be largely the same. Americans would lend money to the U.S. government to help do things like install windmills and invest in solar and energy efficiency. Just greening up the buildings under control by the federal government would save a bundle of money for taxpayers. The idea would be that those savings could be returned to the bond-buyers in the form of interest on the money lent.
Who wouldn’t contribute to that cause? Green America estimates that if we had the same level of enthusiasm for buying these bonds that we had in WWII, it would generate $2 Trillion for investment in green.
I’m buying one. Who’s with me?
Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on Google Plus
Get your signed copy of
Build a Green Small Business (McGraw-Hill)!
Or...talk with the author!
Click here to schedule an hour consultation.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!