While it’s not terribly hard to find ‘green’ products for the kitchen, it is sometimes hard to find quality green goods that are affordable and actually do their job well. The following is a list of some of my favorite green products that have outperformed other green goods- and often, their traditional non-green counterparts.
Green Genius Garbage Bags: Who knew I could be so excited about rubbish bags? These are biodegradable under landfill conditions! And they are made from 40% recycled plastics. And they have drawstrings which keep everything neat and clean. Another win- cheaper than the Seventh Generation, and less likely to leak. I found them at our local health food store. Unfortunately, their website is unavailable, and it seems their products are too.
Scotch-Brite Greener Clean Sponges: So many times ecofriendly sponges fall apart after just a few uses, which is not acceptable in my very busy and very clean kitchen. About a year ago I found these awesome sponges that are made from 100% plant-based fibers and are 23% recycled. The scrubby parts are made mostly from the fibers of the agave cactus and work almost as good as the non-green scrubby options. Better, these can be found at Target, and are almost as cheap as the conventional brands. Overall, a big win for a clean kitchen and bathroom!
Costco Brand Eco-Friendly Dishsoap: This is my only purchase from Costco, which I annually request annually from my brother who actually pays for a membership. This soap is great- it comes in a gallon-sized recyclable container, contains plant-based ingredients, and it excludes some of the nasty stuff found in other soaps (phosphates, dyes, bleaches). And it’s not tested on our fuzzy friends. Mostly, it works better than any other eco-dishsoap, at a fraction of the cost. My second favorite is the Seventh Generation, but it comes only in 25- and 50-oz sizes, which means a lot more plastic to recycle.
Baking Soda: Yes, really! Easily found and very cheap, simple sodium bicarbonate can do quite a bit of dirty work around your kitchen and not damage the earth in the process. It can be used to scrub the stainless steel sink to a new shiny state, used on dishes that have baked-on foods, and on your counter tops as a very mild abrasive to clean stains. Mixed with vinegar it can help keep your drains running smoothly, use in the litterbox and in the fridge to keep everything fresh-smelling. Check out this incredible list for more ideas for using this non-toxic cleaner in your home. Just remember to buy it in bulk to save on packaging.
Vegetarian chef, educator, blogger, and yogi based on the gathering isle of Oahu. Follow her foodie adventures at Vibrant Wellness Journal, Vibrant Wellness Education, Green Living Ideas and Green UPGRADER. Find more from Andrea on Facebook, Google+, Instagram and Twitter.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!