Your business card says a lot about your business, of course…the name, phone, email, website and other critical information, all in one place, help a customer find you and hire you. The logo, color, and design/layout also convey a “feel” about your business that can help engender positive feelings about your business.
If you’re working in the field of sustainability and health, you might want to also consider using an eco-friendly business card that is made from recycled paper with soy-based inks, rather than virgin paper and petrochemically-derived inks.
As impacts go, the business card pales in comparison to bigger picture items like whether your business uses renewable energy or grid-tied coal power, of course, but that’s a harder connection for your customers to make, whereas the business card you put directly in their hand has the power to convey more significance….and get more results in terms of customer loyalty.
You can do business card printing online through UPrinting, where you can get eco-friendly business cards direct to your door, with rates as low as $20 for 250 business cards (and deeper discounts with more bulk purchase, of course). UPrinting offers SFI certified recycled paper products and certified soy-based inks:
While SFI certification used to have a fairly bad reputation for greenwashing (it was started as an industry-backed standard that was far weaker than its rival FSC), the ecolabel has made good strides in its criteria and transparency, and now ranks as a good 3rd party eco-label.
Whatever you choose to do regarding your business card printing needs, remember that you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and in marketing a green business, your pitch, handshake, and the business card can help you make great connections…if they’re done right.
Check out our free publication on how to make an effective pitch for your sustainable business…then practice, and get yourself some great business cards!
Sustainable business card photo courtesy of MassDestraction on Flickr Creative Commons
Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on Google Plus
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!