We spend a lot of time blogging about the what’s, how’s and why’s of green entrepreneurship, and we feel we would like to focus a little energy on the who’s this month. It’s Independence Day in America, and we would like to use the occasion to promote independence from all the things we think are wrong with the world: big oil, GMO’s, too-big-to-fail banks, plastics, and the like. We’d like to celebrate the heroes of the new economy. The small and mid-sized businesses that are changing the world, regenerating natural resources, creating sustainable jobs that aren’t just outsourced at the first convenient moment.
So, to show our gratitude for these inspiring changemakers, GreenBusinessOwner.com is going to buy $150 worth of gift certificates from a sustainable business that is really making waves, and give them away to people who can use them.
Do you have a social entrepreneur or a green business you’d like to nominate? Please do so, in the comment field below. Give us your nominee’s company name and URL, if possible, and a brief, less than 100 word description of what they do and why that makes them so great.
My colleague, Priti Ambani of Ecopreneurist, and I will pick a handful of really exemplary changemakers, and based on community feedback, pick a winner to award our social entrepreneur gift to.
Entrepreneur photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on Google Plus
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!