Let’s face an honest fact here. No company wants to be known as anti-environment or anti-green, especially in this day and age of reducing carbon footprints and being more eco-friendly. Consumers want to believe they’re helping to improve the environment with their decisions.
As a result, more and more companies are turning to ways of business that reduce the impact on the environment and make sure a company is not destroying Mother Nature as it goes about its daily business.
When companies want to be more environmentally stable, they often turn to partners to help with increasing sustainability. What better way to do it than to get help from the company that takes care of your garbage?
Think about it. You can take out the trash and be environmentally safe at the same time. It’s not as hard as it sounds, it just takes a little work to find the perfect partnership.
Such a partnership exists already in San Diego with Waste Management and companies that have partnered with the California-based firm to boost San Diego recycling efforts. One of the biggest employers in downtown San Diego, PETCO Park (home of the San Diego Padres), works with Waste Management to make the park and the surrounding area more sustainable.
Waste left over following PETCO events is sorted by ballpark employees into trash and recyclables. This includes plastic, paper, glass and aluminum products. Recycling programs also exist for cardboard, cooking oil, food waste, grass clippings and hazardous waste products. Thanks to the collaborative efforts, PETCO has won numerous awards from the city of San Diego.
Businesses throughout major cities can partner with city trash firms to schedule regular recycling pickups for all sorts of items. Wasted food like fruits, vegetables and egg shells, or any other biodegradable food items, can be repurposed into food waste kept out of the environment and in a safe location. Medical-waste items at hospitals, like used gloves and sharp needles, are recycled separately and one-use items are targeted for disposal.
Businesses wishing to recycle used TV monitors, computer equipment, old office phones, and other big-ticket items have used recyclers and trash haulers to get rid of old or unwanted items.
Sure, it may cost a little more in the short term to take care of disposal for these items, but the long-term prognosis is more environmentally sound. Wasted equipment or items often mean wasted money. By saving on these items, companies can save some change and reinvest that old, wasted money back into the business.
Forward-thinking companies are helping businesses think to the future. If it results in safer drinking water, safer food to eat, and safer products to use, then the environmental watchers have done their job.
This post is by Samantha Peters, who enjoys writing about Eco-friendly businesses and sustainable business models that take into account the triple bottom line, Planet, People, and Profits. You can follow Sam on Twitter @Sam_Peters1001.
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!