A friend once remarked that she didn’t care for the Lord of the Rings movies because all the bad people were ugly and all the good were good-looking (if a little short). A recent study found that elements of logo design had a similar influence on people’s thinking about a company’s environmental and social responsibility reputation…what does your logo say about your CSR?
The study, conducted by Niels van Quaquebeke and Steffen Giessner of the Rotterdam School of Management, found that logo design affected the viewer’s perception of how ethical the company. Showing 100 logos of large companies to study participants, Quaquebeke and Giessner asked one group to rate attractiveness and symmetry, among other attributes of the logos. A separate group was asked to judge whether they thought the companies were ethical or not.
The most intriguing finding was that logos that ranked highly in symmetry were perceived higher in terms of socially and ethically responsible behavior. Similarly, people rate the beauty of others more highly when their facial features were symmetrical. Something about symmetry implies trust, perhaps?
When considering your own brand and logo design, you might want to incorporate these findings, or at least ask your focus group to keep reputation in mind when evaluating potential designs.
Our company, GreenBusinessOwner.com, recently revamped our logo with a professional designer and ended up with a fun concept that implied all those elements we were looking to communicate: growth, organic, professional, transparent, and welcoming. Or so we thought. After reading of this research, I asked our Facebook group about our new logo and website design, and of all the comments given about the website, tagline, etc., we did not get one response to the logo. Could it be that we’ve fallen victim to an asymmetrical logo trap? Will we now be viewed as less trustworthy?
We are interested in your feedback! Write us at info [at] GreenBusinessOwner.com if you have a comment about our logo or about this story!
Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on Google Plus
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!