Spring is in the air, and in many places, it’s the time to start planning the garden for 2009. A terrific green business opportunity exists for aspiring eco-entrepreneurs to do landscaping work. Landscape Design refers to the design and setup of a landscape environment around a house or other building. By designing a landscape with eco-friendly and green building elements in mind, you can help reduce water and chemical use, produce food, and reduce heating and cooling costs for the building as well.
As the work is seasonal, it’s a slightly different business model and attracts a different kind of entrepreneur. But the work is outdoors/get your hands dirty/shovel-ready kind of work that many people enjoy. It takes a strong back and a willingness to work hard, but it just might be a terrific opportunity for you to help green your community, one yard at a time.
In today’s spotlight, I interview Chase Fetter, founder of Sage’s Way Landscape and Design of Salt Lake City. Chase has been doing permaculture in arid Salt Lake City for a half dozen years, and just entered into the market to do landscape maintenance in an eco-friendly manner as well, but that is a subject for another article.
SC: When you design and install a landscape for someone, what are you mainly hoping to accomplish for them?
CF: We focus on waterwise perennials, trees, and shrubs. We also try to incorporate edibles to encourage people to reconnect with their back yards.
SC: The focus on waterwise plants–how helpful is that to homeowners looking to cut water bills?
CF: We can cut water bills by half [for many people].
SC: In a water limited state like Utah’s, that must be quite a seller. How else can you help people save money while doing good for the environment?
CF: We can also block winter winds and/or cool the house in the summer with tree plantings.
Find more information about Sage’s Way Landscape and Design at www.SagesWay.net.
Scott Cooney is the author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and hopes that someday the green economy will simply be referred to as…the economy.
Scott Cooney (twitter: scottcooney) is an adjunct professor of Sustainability in the MBA program at the University of Hawai'i, green business startup coach, author of Build a Green Small Business: Profitable Ways to Become an Ecopreneur (McGraw-Hill), and developer of the sustainability board game GBO Hawai'i. Scott has started, grown and sold two mission-driven businesses, failed miserably at a third, and is currently in his fourth. Scott's current company has three divisions: a sustainability blog network that includes the world's biggest clean energy website and reached over 5 million readers in December 2013 alone; Pono Home, a turnkey and franchiseable green home consulting service that won entrance into the clean tech incubator known as Energy Excelerator; and Cost of Solar, a solar lead generation service to connect interested homeowners and solar contractors. In his spare time, Scott surfs, plays ultimate frisbee and enjoys a good, long bike ride. Find Scott on Google Plus
- Green franchise opportunities:
- Healthy Fast Food
- Farmer's Market
- Personal Trainer & Diet Planner
- Juice Bar and Smoothie Café
- Green Building Materials Store
- Permaculture and Urban Farming
- Edible and Organic Floristry
- Energy Efficiency Auditing
- Ecotourism and Sustainable Travel Planner
- Sustainable Coffee House
- Consignment Shop for Kids Clothing & Toys
- Natural Foods Co-op
- Sustainable Food Prep and Cooking Instruction
- Food Plant Nursery
- Mesh Network Telephone and Internet Company
- Drive-thru Coffee Stand & Espresso Shop
- Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Service
- Organic Backyard Garden Landscape Design
- Green Bed and Breakfast (B&B)
- Sustainable Mobile Food Vendor
- Biodiesel Cooperative
- Eco Friendly Pool and Spa Cleaning
- Green Wedding and Sustainable Event Planner
- Organic Farm
- Gift Basket Service
- Pedicab Company
- Used Books Vending Machines
- Organic Day Spa
- Restaurant Food Delivery Service
- Used Bicycle Retailer
- Landscape Maintenance in Arid climates
- Organic Food Delivery Service
- Outdoor Gear Consignment Shop
- Eco Concierge Service and Relocation Specialist
- Organic Community Supported Agriculture
- Sustainable Property Management
- Residential Solar
Get a customized report on the Cost of Solar for your business or home today!